• 1 handful onion, chopped
• 1 large green chilli, finely chopped
• 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 handful tomato, blanched in hot water, peeled and chopped
• 4 handfuls zucchini, grated
• 1/2 preserved lemon (rind only), or zest of 1/2 lemon, chopped (if using lemon zest, add an additional pinch of salt)
• 4 palm size portions of lean beef mince
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• Few sprigs each of fresh mint, coriander leaves and parsley
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Olive oil
1. Fry the onion with olive oil for a few minutes until almost transparent. Add green chilli, garlic, paprika, turmeric and cumin, fry for a further few minutes. Add tomato, preserved lemon (or lemon zest) zucchini and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until zucchini is tender and some liquid has evaporated.
2. In a large bowl, combine cooked mixture with beef mince, eggs, herbs, salt and pepper. Mix well and shape into small patties. Fry the meat patties in olive oil, turning gently, until cooked through and lightly browned on both sides.
Serve with 2 additional handfuls of allowed vegetables or salad per serve.