What are the main symptoms of Vitamin B12 deficiency?
- Numbness, tingling or burning sensations
- Weakness in legs, arm or trunk
- Balance issues
- Unsteady or abnormal gait
- Visual disturbances
- Memory loss or dementia
- Restless legs
- Cramping in legs and arms
- Violent behavior
- Post Partum depression
Other signs and symptoms of Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Lack of energy
- Weight Loss
- Ringing in the ears (Tinnitus)
- Shortness of breath
Medical conditions or disorders with possible Vitamin B12 deficiency link
- Most cardiovascular diseases or disorders
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Restless leg syndrome
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Erectile dysfunction
- Autoimmune conditions
- Children who fail to thrive
- Speech problems or language delay
If you or a family member have any of the above sign or symptoms, or suffer from any of the medical conditions listed above, it is worth asking your GP to test your serum B12 levels in case Vitamin B12 deficiency could be contributing to your condition.
And remember that anything below 500 pmol/L is too low and should be treated.
For further reading on Vitamin B12 deficiency click here.
Compiled by Tony Daniel, award winning Naturopath at Capalaba Natural Health.
Click here for more information on Naturopathy or how our Naturopath can help you.