Are you feeling tired and exhausted all the time? Do you think it’s just because of your busy lifestyle or stress? It may be more than you think. Although your hectic, demanding lifestyle may be the culprit, persistent tiredness may also be a symptom of Adrenal Fatigue.
Depleted adrenal glands leads to what is known as adrenal fatigue. The adrenal glands are small, but they have a very big role, because they are responsible for managing stress and are important in maintaining our energy levels and motivation. The glands are an integral part of the endocrine system, and secrete hormones that manage a range of your body functions, including adrenaline. The adrenal glands can become depleted due to lack of sleep, excessive exercise, overwork, stress, chronic inflammation and taking care of everyone else first. When this happens, fatigue is often the result.
What causes Adrenal Fatigue?
The main cause of Adrenal Fatigue is stress. The body has a fight or flight mechanism that responds to stress for survival. In years gone by that mechanism was only activated occasionally when there was an imminent threat like a lion about to attack us. In these modern times, we aren’t faced with such basic threats anymore but a constant onslaught of stress related situations throughout the day. Family stress, financial stress, work stress, dealing with kids and limited time in the day to actually sit down and relax can all lead to fatigue.etc… This leads to cortisol levels rising and falling rapidly over the course of the day. This leads to adrenal burn out.
With the rise in anxiety in the last decade this is another cause of adrenal fatigue because you are constantly in the fight or flight mode.
Symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue:
- Exhaustion, even after a full night’s sleep, for no apparent reason. Often leading us to reach for stimulants like caffeine to get us through the day.
- Constant cravings for sugar and carbohydrates especially in the afternoon.
- A weak immune system, feeling like you’re always getting colds and flu’s and taking longer to recover from them. This happens because cortisol has an anti- inflammatory effect that helps to regulate your immune system. When we are inflamed, it can mean that our bodies are fighting an infection, and with cortisol being diminished, it’s not there to help as much.
- Increased aches and pains due to less of our body natural anti-inflammatory being produced.
- Feeling either tired or wired at night – this can occur as a result of higher cortisol at night time.
- Being irritable with an inability to deal with stress.
- Weight gain, especially around the abdominal area.
- Menopausal flushes and night sweats.
Ways to improve your adrenal health and reverse adrenal fatigue:
Adrenal fatigue is literally our bodies saying ‘enough is enough’. Avoiding stress in our life is hard, but by dealing with them and taking a step back from commitments, and spending more time looking after ourselves is the best way to manage adrenal fatigue.
Some examples of this could include:
- Limiting time on screens and social media in general
- Enjoying a bath
- Exercise though don’t over do it if you are fatigued
- Having regular massages
- Talking with friends or a health professional to share stresses or burdens
- Reading a book
- Taking a nice walk in nature
- Being present when with family and friends
There are many natural supplements that are designed to nourish your adrenal glans and help your body cope with the daily stresses of our modern day lifestyle. Supporting your adrenal glands will increase you energy levels, increase motivation, reduce stress and anxiety, reduce depression, help you cope with life’s stresses better … and improve your overall vitality.
Did you also know that by improving adrenal gland function you will also reduce or eliminate menopausal flushes and night sweats.
It is our belief that everyone should have good energy levels of at least 8/10 constantly so that you can enjoy life to the fullest.
To really nip adrenal fatigue in the bud Tony Capalaba Natural Health’s award winning Naturopath can help you re-nourish your adrenals and get you feeling full of energy and vitality once again! If you would like to make an appointment feel free to call the clinic on 3823 3103 or click here to make an appointment.
If you would like more information on how Naturopathy or how our Naturopath can help you gain back your vitality click here.