Are you getting the recommended 7-9 hours of sleep per night? No? Well, while that’s a tad concerning, you’re certainly not alone.
Sleep is one of the best (and FREE!) things we can do for our overall health and wellbeing, yet over half (59.4%) of all Australians experience regular sleep issues.
With today’s busy lifestyle, sleep tends to slide down our list of priorities, however this can have a serious impact on your energy and stress levels and quality of life. There’s only so much coffee can fix, and let’s just agree that caffeine is not a long-term solution!
What’s even more alarming is that getting too much or too little sleep has been directly linked to serious health conditions, including type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, weight gain and stroke.
If you are tired of being tired, seeking help from our naturopath for sleep problems will soon have you back on track with effective, natural solutions for better days – and nights!
What are the most common Sleep Problems?
The most common issues include:
- Regularly getting less sleep, or sleeping longer, than recommended for your age group.
- Poor sleep quality, including taking too long to fall asleep, waking frequently, snoring, and waking feeling unrefreshed.
- Diagnosable sleep disorders, such as insomnia, obstructive sleep apnoea, restless leg syndrome, weight induced sleep apnoea and chronic fatigue.
All of the above can lead to daytime symptoms of sleepiness, fatigue, irritability, depression and moodiness. This can take an incredible toll on an individual, negatively impacting your work or school performance and even your relationships.
But never fear – our award-winning naturopath Tony can assist with natural solutions to help you boot those pesky sleep problems right out of bed!
Why see a Naturopath for Sleep Problems
Far from just prescribing sleeping pills (also never a long-term solution, people!), a naturopathic approach involves taking the time to assess your unique circumstances and health history. This allows our naturopath to identify the underlying causes of your sleep disturbances, and develop a personalised treatment plan to address your specific needs.
As part of your consultation, you will likely be:
- Asked numerous questions around your sleep patterns and sleep hygiene.
- Also asked questions to help identify potential triggers such as stress, anxiety, depression or environmental factors.
- Tested to identify nutrient deficiencies which may affect your sleep.
- Given a personalised treatment plan. Based on the outcome of your comprehensive assessment, our naturopath will work with you on a holistic treatment plan designed to restore that restful shuteye, along with your energy and vitality. Hallelujah!
Depending on your personal circumstances, our naturopath may include some of the following in your treatment plan:
- Herbal or homeopathic medicine. In naturopathy, we offer various herbal remedies known for their calming and sleep-inducing properties. Examples could include ziziphus, chamomile, passionflower, and lavender, all of which promote relaxation and enhance sleep quality. We also use homeopathic sleep preparations to assist you to get to sleep, and also get back to sleep if you wake.
- Nutritional support. Diet plays a crucial role in overall health, including sleep. Our naturopath may recommend specific foods or supplements based on the results of our in-house testing, such as magnesium, calcium, B vitamins, or supplements to raise your serotonin … which is the precursor to your sleep hormone melatonin.
- Lifestyle modifications. Adopting healthy sleep habits and making lifestyle modifications can be vital to solving sleep problems. A natural approach to sleep problems will include helping you to improve your sleep hygiene – for example, creating a consistent bedtime routine, reducing phone or screen time and blue light exposure, a sleep-friendly environment, and incorporating stress-reduction techniques like meditation or yoga into your lifestyle.
- Stress Management. Stress and anxiety are common culprits behind sleep disturbances. At Capalaba Natural Health we can help you manage stress through relaxation techniques, breathing exercises, Frequency Specific Microcurrent and other natural therapies, promoting a calmer state of mind conducive to restful sleep.
If you’re experiencing problems with your sleep, please know, that with a little support from a naturopath, those forty (plus) winks could be well within reach!
Contact Capalaba Natural Health today on 3823 3103 to book an appointment with our award-winning naturopath, Tony.