Do you have the guts to be healthy?! Good gut health is far more important than we once thought, as it is not just about preventing problems with digestion.
For example, the digestive system:
- Is now known as our ‘second brain’ – it has that much control over our mind and body!
- Is closely tied to our immune system. As the father of medicine Hippocrates once said, “All diseases begin in the gut”.
- Has a huge impact on our moods and mental health.
Suddenly all those timeworn phrases about “gut instinct”, “trusting your gut”, and having a “gut feeling” take on a whole new layer of meaning!
Why is good gut health important?
When we have a healthy gut, our body is able to get maximum benefit from the food we eat. It is able to absorb nutrients, providing us with fuel for energy, growth, and cell repair, so that our body works properly and stays healthy. Our gut is also an important defence mechanism and generates vital hormones and vitamins which are essential for good health.
Signs of a Happy Gut!
While the signs of good gut health might seem elementary to some – if you’ve never had a healthy gut, you may not realise what is seen as “normal”! So here are six signs of good gut health:
- How long does digestion take? It should take between 12 to 24 hours from the time you’ve eaten the food until the time it has passed; generally, 1 to 2 bowel movements per day is a good sign that food is passing as normal.
- Good bowel movements: Many things constitute a good bowel movement which include texture, shape and buoyancy. As with anything, moderation is key; extremes such as loose stools, or rock hard pebbles, are not signs of good gut health.
- No excess gas or bloating: Some gas is expected after eating but if you have excessive gas or feel bloated after eating, it’s quite possible that you have an unhealthy gut or food intolerances.
- Sleeping well and waking energised: There is a direct correlation between getting a good night’s sleep and a healthy gut.
- Positive mood: Having good gut health means you are less likely to suffer from anxiety, stress or depression. Did you know 95% of your body’s serotonin (your body’s natural mood stabiliser) is generated from your gut?
- Memory and Focus: If you have good gut health, you may take your good memory retention and the ability to focus for granted!
About 70% of our immune system is housed in the gut. Our microbiome (the micro-organisms that exist in the gut environment) is meant to promote normal digestive function and keep the gut barrier intact. However, it is also instrumental in protecting our body from infection, as well as the production of certain compounds which can affect your mental health and moods. These are known as neurotransmitters and include:
- GABA: The calming brain chemical which helps reduce anxiety, stress and fear.
- Serotonin: The happy hormone that helps regulate your mood.
- Dopamine: Another “feel good” hormone, linked to the pleasure and reward centres in the brain.
Do you need a gut health test?
It’s quite clear that when our gut isn’t working well, it’s not just our gut that suffers – there are knock-on effects elsewhere in the body, including the brain.
Our modern lifestyle bears much of the blame for the current epidemic of poor gut health, particularly the rise in our consumption of refined, processed and fast foods. All too often these are bereft of nutrients, and packed instead with chemicals or empty calories.
However poor gut health may also occur due to a number of other factors, such as food intolerances, stress, the environment, and certain medications.
If you suffer from symptoms such as:
- Abdominal pain;
- Poor or irregular bowel movements, eg constipation of diarrhoea;
- Nausea; or
There is no need to suffer any longer, as at Capalaba Natural Health, our award-winning naturopath specialises in gut health issues.
Through an in-depth consultation, and a gut health test, we can determine your specific digestive issues and help you to repair and restore your gut health naturally. Treatment may include herbal preparations or naturopathic supplements, eliminating certain foods from your diet, and other lifestyle modifications.
When you prioritise good gut health, you will soon discover what it is like to be the absolute best version of you. Contact Capalaba Natural Health today to book an appointment with our naturopath and set your gut – and your body – up for good health!